Friday, September 2, 2011

Relapse

Relapse with alcoholics or addicts can be hard to understand at times. In an addict or an alcoholic, the fear associated with thinking about potential disaster is up against an inner voice in us that tries to reason with us. According to AA this aspect is the “cunning and baffling aspect of addiction”. This is when an addict starts convincing himself that what happened in the past could not possible happen again, despite all the early signs being their. Negative sarcastic attitude, self pity, selfishness and in some cases mistakenly thinking you can substitute one drug with another. An endless cycle of needless suffering is in the beginning stages. A profound moment of clarity occurs to many successful people in recovery. “I am heading the wrong way’. Then secondly, “I am to blame for the wreckage of my life”. I am responsible for all the damage in my life nobody told me to do things I have done to myself and other innocent people in my life. I have to surrender and re-learn, in order to do what other alcoholics, or addicts have in the past, consequently, to live a happy and productive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment