Monday, September 19, 2011

The Need for Universal Healthcare

Last Aug of 2010, I filled out a medical form with my doctor in order to be approved through my wife’s health care plan.  Consequently, I was refused the medical insurance by the health care provider since I have type II diabetes, regardless of the fact that my health is good and I am in complete compliance with my family doctor.  This reminds me so much of the healthcare system in the US.  The managed health care system in the United States is a system of health care delivery which aims to control costs by assigning set fees for services and monitoring the need for procedures such as tests and stressing preventive care.  I found my rejection by this health care provider to be disgraceful and against basic human rights.  Personally, what I’ve experienced working and doing my internships in the United States is that managed health care is mainly motivated by economics rather than considering the needs and rights of each individual patient.   What is being seen are these multi billion dollar companies simply trying to maximize profits at the expense of people’s lives.  However, there is a happy ending to this story.  I asked my wife to contact her union representative in regards to this healthcare provider decision to not allow me onto her work’s health care package.  He was able to overturn the decision and, I am now covered by my wife’s health care plan and I will be re-paid all the money I had to pay retroactively for one year.  Without the help of my wife’s union representative I would not have the extra health insurance that I am entitled to.  I was just notified a couple of days ago of this decision.     


http://www.robertgoulard.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment